First a few paintings depicting African-Americans in the 19th century:
- A Plantation Burial by John Antrobus (circa 1860). More details here.
- A German Immigrant Inquiring His Way by Charles Felix Blauvelt (1855). More details here
- Slaves Waiting for a Sale, Richmond, Virginia by Eyre Crown, 1861
- The Power of Music (or Music Hath Charms) by William Sidney Mount (1847)
- The Banjo Player by William Sidney Mount (1856) Analysis here
- Old Kentucky Home (Negro Life at the South), 1859 by Eastman Johnson.Details
- The Gulf Stream by Winslow Homer (1899) -Details here.
Then some paintings evoking the Wild West:
- My Bunkie by Charles Schreyvogel (1899). The soldier is saving one of his bunkmates who has lost his mount.
- Barter for a Bride by John Mix Stanley (1854-1860)
Charles Felix Blauvelt